Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Entry 1: Experience in the Community

    An experience that I have had that caused a language and culture confusion has been this semester.  I am currently taking American Sign Language 1 (ASL 1) and on the first day of that class was so hard, I thought it was going to be the hardest thing I would ever do.
   On the first day i walk into the classroom and on the board in bright, bold letter it says " THIS IS A NO VOICE CLASS". I paniked , I didn't know what to think and the teacher comes in signing and of course no one has any idea what she is saying.(SCARED FACES!!)  But as she continues we start picking up on what she was saying after repetition and watching what she did.  It actually help me learn alot using no voices. Although at first it was scary and didn't have any confidence I could do this I have already had my first test and made an A.  Some things can be confusing and hard at first but after learning about the language and the culture of the deaf community it really helped the learning process.

1 comment:

  1. "panicked". I like what you have to say here. How does this experience help to prepare you for work with a child who may not speak English??

    ReplyDelete